Sunday, November 27, 2011

Another Christmas Ornie

I have been having some fun doing just a little crafting during my long Thanksgiving weekend from school.  I have a rather large collection of juice can lids waiting to be turned into something wonderful.  I started this collection because these are the perfect size to do a little tin punching with the kids at school.  They love designing their own ornaments from these juice can lids!
I started with these items:
The tea lights are $2.50 a box from Walmart.  The berry string is actually two strands taken from a pick and then twisted together.  That amazing hunk of rusty wire is something my husband had laying around his tool bench.  (He always seems to have such items just when I mention a shopping trip...)

I spray painted the juice can lids back in the summer with this:
I punched two holes on each side of the lid so that I could poke the two wire ends through and then bend them over.  I thought this would make it easier to level the ornie when hanging than if I just had one hole on each side, but I think you could make it work either way probably.
I used two 8" pieces of wire which I twisted together, leaving two ends about an inch and a half long on each end.
I poked the wire ends through the holes in the lid and bent them over using my little needle nose pliers.
Then I wrapped the berry around the wires.  I came up with this idea when I realized my tea light would probably slide off the lid pretty easily, but it was just the touch this ornie needed. :)

To do the tea lights I first painted a thick coat of this on each one:
When I bought it I didn't realize it was pretty sparkly, but I have found many uses for it just the same.  I use it as a base coat and then grubby up the project by painting a coat of Mod Podge over it and then sprinkling cinnamon and cloves over it while it's wet.  I had a picture of the sparkly look, but I accidentally deleted it.  I don't have anything currently in that stage, so sorry!


This is what it looks like after the second coat of Mod Podge:

Here is the finished ornie:

I don't have my tree up yet, but I can't wait to make a few of these to put on it!