Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Book Corner

In my last post I said that I was pretty happy about my book corner at school.  Here's why.
Here's my book corner.  I need to paint the back of the two
book cases on the left.  That will have to happen on a weekend
when it's a bit less humid so the paint will dry before kids touch it.
The quilt on the table was a gift from a student last year.
I love how colorful it is.
I started using a system for my book corner last year where each book has a number and there are bins that are labeled with that number so the kids always know where to put the book when they are done.  I got the idea from the 2 Sisters.   It worked great last year, but it took A LOT of time to set up.  My husband spent 2-3 days at school helping me and we still had 3 big bins of pictures books left that weren't sorted.  I never got them done last year, but this year I was determined - and I did it!!  Now there's a place for everything and everything is in its place.  

My husband is a very good sport about the amount
of money I have spent on books for my classroom.
In fact his halo is glowing in that department



Mark hung the gutters for me to display books in a couple of years ago.  I tell the kids that this is how book stores sell the most books - by showing the front cover and getting our attention.  It's a fun way to display seasonal and holiday books, too.

I am ready and excited for the students to arrive tomorrow.  It's going to be another great year!
Melissa

P.S. This was my 99th post!  Holy guacamole!