Saturday, November 20, 2010

Books Can Make a Wonderful Gift

     I love all kinds of picture books.  I have an {almost} embarrassingly large collection, but can justify it because of teaching elementary school.  But the truth is I don't always buy the books to use at school. Sometimes I just love the story and know that I will read it again and again.  Over the next couple of weeks I am going to try to share some of the books that I think would make a great book to give as a gift or to share with your family.
I'm going to start with one of my all-time favorite Christmas books:
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.   
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey with CD: Gift Edition

     My Aunt Carolyn told me about this book a few years ago and I am so glad she did!  In the story, a boy and his mother have discovered that the family nativity scene has been lost in their move to a new town.  The mother makes contact with a local wood carver, Jonathan Toomey, and makes arrangements for a new set to be carved.  But Jonathan Toomey thinks that Christmas is "pish posh".  And so begins the story of how a little boy's simple faith can help to heal a man whose hurting has consumed him.  
     This book was also made into a movie which I own and have watched over and over.  I don't usually like books made into movies, but this one is pretty close, and I think well done.  If you are looking for something new to add to your Christmas movie collection, you might want to consider adding this one.  



If you want to be entered in my giveaway you can click here to get to the post where you need to add a comment after you become a follower.  I plan to (randomly) pick the winner on Tuesday morning (November 23rd) before I leave for work, so be sure to enter before then!