Monday, February 21, 2011

Rag Egg Tutorial

I want to make sure right from the start to say that this tutorial is not my idea.  I first saw the idea on another Melissa's blog - .  If you click on tutorials on her side bar you'll see that what I am writing here is very similar to her instructions. (Take the time to poke around a bit once you get there, Melissa has some really fun tutorials and she has just started selling patterns and they are sooo prim perfect!) I'm not trying to copy, I just thought I'd share that I got it to work a slightly different way.

First, you'll need these things:

I used plastic eggs from the junk store (6 for a dollar), strips of homespun from my stash, an emery board, and Alene's OK to Wash It glue.  This little glue was in a set of mini glue samples by Alene.  I tried this hoping that it would hold the homespun and dry fast enough to make the project not a nightmare.  (It wasn't!)
Melissa's tutorial suggests using a glue gun.  The problem with that for me is that mine was at school and I wanted to do this craft now, not after I remembered to bring my glue gun home.

The first thing I did was cut a bunch of strips of homespun.  Melissa's tutorial suggested ripping the strips, but when I did that my fabric basically shredded, and was a mess.  I resorted to using my rotary cutter.  I eye-balled the width of the strip, shooting for about a half inch.  I found that if the strip was slimmer, it laid down on the egg a little nicer if that makes sense.
The next thing I did was use my emery board to sand the ends of the egg.  I figured this might help the glue stick a little better.  (Not really sure if it was necessary, but I had really good luck with the sticking and the filing only took a second.)

Next, I put a dab of glue at each end of the egg and rubbed it around so there was glue covering both ends of the egg.  Then I simply started wrapping my homespun strip around the egg.  When I got to the end of a strip, I put a dot of glue to hold it, then a dot of glue on top of it to start the next strip.  For each egg I used about 3 strips of homespun cut the width of the fabric.  For the homespuns that I had only a fat quarter of I used about 5 or 6 strips.  When I got to the end of the final strip, I just put a dot of glue and stuck it down. I didn't try tucking it under, but that might have added a nice finish.  (I'll probably try that on the next batch.)

It only took about an hour or so start to finish to do these six eggs.  I haven't decided how I'm going to display them yet, but I sure did have fun making them!