Wednesday, August 4, 2010

About the name of my blog...

I thought people might wonder about the name of my blog.  Again, I have to credit my sister.  When she asked me to do a blog, we started laughing about what names I could use.  (At that point I had no intention of actually following through.) We came up with lots of names, but again I didn't really think we were serious.  Then I had a lovely thought in the middle of the night.  (As a teacher, that's when I usually solve most of my problems.)   At my parent's house there is a carriage step that they found when they dug the foundation of their garage.  On it, it says, "Libbie's Home".  Ironic when you find out that my sister's name is Libby.   There were two parts to this carriage step and they stacked them up and  it turned into a favorite place to sit - especially for Libby.   She loves to sit on that thing and watch the neighborhood.  If only there was some way I could show you how unnecessary it is to "watch" our neighborhood, then you could see how funny that really is...


We had some fun with that step growing up, too.  When we were early teens, friends would come over and notice the stone had Libbie's name spelled wrong.  We told people that it was Libby's tombstone and that she wasn't expected to live very long.  Now I know this is morbid and probably not something to joke about, but hey we were kids and looking for a reaction.  We usually got one, too.
Anyway it just seemed to click that this would make a good blog name.  Here are some pictures of the carriage step:

The  name on the arch says "BEAN".