Saturday, August 21, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

I know I have not been a faithful blogger this week.  But rest assured I have a couple of fun things to tell about (with pictures) soon. 
We have been "busy" vacationing.  Some close to home, some a little further away.  First we went to Ohio and visited Longaberger on Sunday afternoon.  We almost had the homestead to ourselves!  Not much happening in the weaving building.  I was a little disappointed because I thought my husband would really enjoy seeing the weavers in action.  I got to see it once and was fascinated.  I love watching people create!  Anyway, we enjoyed looking around and melting in the heat.  (Ok, the looking around was good, the heat not so much.)  I love the heritage of Longaberger.  In the weaving building you can read about the history of the company.  I love the simple beginnings and I wonder if they would ever wish to return to that simpler time.  http://www.longaberger.com/visitUs.aspx



On Monday we drove to Dayton, OH and visited the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.  My husband is a private pilot and loves aircraft of any type.  He was in airplane HEAVEN at this museum.  It really is an incredible collection of U.S. history.  I enjoyed the visit immensely, but more because of my love of history than any affinity for aircraft.  If you ever have a chance to go to this museum, don't miss out.  Admission is FREE!  And there is a nice gift shop where I picked up several nice books for my classroom. :)

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/


On Thursday we were home, but decided we weren't done vacationing yet, so we hopped on the motorcycle for a little jaunt to Hammondsport, NY.  What a beautiful day and a wonderful place to visit!  We had an incredible lunch at the Park Inn, then went for a tour of the Pleasant Valley winery.  What a great place to visit! And what an amazing history!  And the wine tasting was pretty wonderful, too! :)
Photos: view of Keuka lake, stone doorway and building front
http://pleasantvalleywine.com/index.html


After that, we went a mile or so down the road to the Glenn Curtis Aviation Museum.  Yes, more airplanes!  Another really nice museum to visit.  We are already looking forward to going back in September for the Seaplane Homecoming.  We went last year and had a great time.  And it just so happens that in September there is a quilt show in the lobby of the museum!  Haven't mentioned that to airplane man -thought I'd save it for a surprise ;)
Curtiss Muesum
http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

We have had a nice week or so of goofing off, but now it's time to get down to business. Soon.  Really.  The dust is gathering at an alarming rate in my living room.  I have Fall Swap things to finish up.  Oh yeah, and school is starting in TWO WEEKS!  
I will be back soon with some pictures of my quick kitchen "makeover" and another fun find we had.


P.S. Am I the only person who is chomping at the bit to decorate for fall?  On our travels we saw some people were putting out their outdoor Halloween stuff already!  A little early for that part of it for me, but I really want my other fall stuff in view!