Monday, July 11, 2011

Strawberry Recipes Anyone?

I have two strawberry related recipes to share in case anyone else loves those luscious red berries, too.
On Friday, while I was in "stand-by" status for roofing at the house, I decided to make a strawberry pie for my husband.  This is his absolute favorite kinda pie.  I figured he could use a little comfort food.  The recipe is from his Grandma Rae - one of the kindest, sweetest people I've ever met.  I like to think that this might be where my husband gets a large part of his personality. : )
Now I realize the picture isn't great.  I had a couple of hitches while making the pie.  First of all, I am ashamed to admit I haven't made a pie in more than a year at least.  It might even be two...  So pie crust was going to be a challenge to say the least.  I didn't want to go out to the store for the pre-made pie crust, but I will confess that I've used those life-savers before.   Secondly, in the middle of the process (picture bottom crust in the pie plate and eyeing up top crust preparing to do battle) when my husband called and needed me to run a "quick" errand.  So I left it all laying on the kitchen counter and went on my merry way - for over an hour.  My friend Audrey told me that I should have stashed it in the fridge first, but alas, I didn't.  I realize my crust will not be a blue ribbon contender at any county fair in the near future.  It tastes pretty good, though!  I sprinkled it with strawberry juice and red sugar to disguise how not so great it really looked.  Not sure that was the best move, but it didn't hurt it I guess.


Here's the really-quite-simple-yet-oh-so-tasty-recipe:

Crust:
2 cups flour
1tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 TBSP. water

Stravberry Filling - just mix the following together - no cooking required:
1 pkg strawberries - I would call this about a quart of mashed berries.  (2-3 cups)
2/3 cups sugar
2 TBSP. tapioca

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

My second recipe is something I invented last night for our dinner.  We had a long hot ride on the motorcycle and neither of us was interested in anything hot for dinner.  I remember that I had made a batch of Lemon Slush mix from Tastefully Simple LAST SUMMER.  It was definitely time to use it.  You can make this slush with alcohol or without.  It was definitely tasty without!
Well, I scooped some of the slush into the blender, then dumped in some of my leftover crushed strawberries and blended away.  I would say that I had a 2/3 slush to 1/3 strawberry ratio.  It made a VERY refreshing summertime drink!!  I highly recommend the mason jar drinking glasses and bendy straws, too. : )



The perfect complement to our simple dinner of cheese, ham and crackers.  
Aaahh summer Sunday evenings. : )

Hope everyone is having a good start to their week.  It's supposed to get HOT here today so I was given another day off.  The real carpenters are thinking about making it a short work day!!  Hurray!  Maybe we will get to go for a little ride in our jeep! We like going on the back roads and pretend that we are driving through Maine.  It's a kind of mini-vacation for the brain. :D